Monday, March 2, 2009

Milagra

What an amazing morning. It didn't start out that way. I went out to feed goats about 8 and noticed Moxy my first time kidder looking very thin. I immediately ran out to the barn to see what was up and found that Mox had given birth during the night. There in the corner of the barn was the frozen stiff body of a tiny black mass that i knew was a baby goat. I was so upset. I picked up the tiny cold stiff body and headed to the house to find a cloth to wrap her in...its one of those things i hate most about having farm animals.  Anyhow while I was looking for a cloth to place her in she made a very faint murmur. Oh my gosh is this really happening, how can this frigid stiff carcass be alive. I immediately grabbed the heater pad, threw some thick towels in the dryer to get them toasty warm and began massaging her. I held her up to clear any liquids that may be in her lungs . I continued massaging and rewarming towels for about an hour or more and then a friend brought me some nutri drench and goats milk .I couldn't catch Moxy the momma to milk for colostrum but the goats milk will help I thought.
I really didn't think this little goat was gonna make it but over the next 5 hours i kept it up and now she is drinking from a bottle. During all of this craziness my other goat Q-tip kidded and gave me another little girl. I managed to get enough colostrum from her to feed the Miracle goat. Well our new little Miracle is called Milagra. Spanish for miracle.
This was the most awesome day Ive had this year. It fills me with so much hope . I had been needing something hopeful and today was my lucky day.

Ahhhhh what a day. I needed a little Miracle in my life and today she came.

No comments: